Office of the Secretary
Secretary Elaine L. Chao is currently the U.S. Secretary of Transportation. This is her second cabinet position. She served as U.S. Secretary of Labor from 2001 to January 2009, and is the first Asian American woman to be appointed to the President's cabinet in American history. Learn more about Secretary Elaine Chao.
The Office of the Secretary (OST) oversees the formulation of national transportation policy and promotes intermodal transportation. Other responsibilities range from negotiation and implementation of international transportation agreements, assuring the fitness of US airlines, enforcing airline consumer protection regulations, issuance of regulations to prevent alcohol and illegal drug misuse in transportation systems and preparing transportation legislation.
- Budget and Financial Management
- Chief Information Officer
- Civil Rights
- Drug and Alcohol Policy
- Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
- General Counsel
- Governmental Affairs
- Intelligence, Security and Emergency Response
- Public Affairs
- Research and Technology (OST-R)
- Small and Disadvantaged Business
- Under Secretary for Policy